Friday, March 28, 2008

The Menstrual Cycle Calendar - Help or Hurt?!

Using the menstrual cycle calendar definitely helped. I like using the menstrual cycle calendar because I was able to predict when my periods would begin. I was able to predict when they would end. I could tell when my pre-menstrual symptoms would begin as well like moodiness, for example. So I like the predictability factor.

I was also able to determine the extent of my bleeding. Yes, I liked tracking it, for some odd reason. I think knowing satisfied my curiosity, calmed my anxiety from not knowing, and made me feel somewhat on top of my physical health.
I also like the fact that the menstrual cycle calendar helps you determine exactly when and if your symptoms have started to change. Don't you hate it when you go to the doctor and they ask you, has anything changed since your last visit and you can't really remember? Suppose you say "yes, some things have changed," then the nurse or doctor will likely ask, "well when did you first notice the change in your symptoms?" Typically, the honest answer is, "I don't know!!!!!" What I want to say is, well, it wasn't like I was blogging or journaling at the time and said, hey, new symptom! Let me mark this date down in my calendar as the day my menstrual cycle decided it wanted to act up! LOL! It always acts up! (:-)" With the menstrual cycle calendar, I could instead show my doctor, this is the day(s) that I noticed the change. I could also show her how long I had noticed the problem.
So in my opinion, the menstrual cycle calendar helps and I'd recommend at least looking into one if you think you might be having cycle problems. So I'm glad my GYN recommended it. Use your doctor's advice on whether using one will help you or not. I'm not a doctor (:-) but I certainly know it helped me answer all the questions that I needed to answer about my menstrual cycle. Plus, I saw no disadvantages to using a calendar.
Thedy B

No comments: